We're back to Bothell today, after a really brief summer vacation. While we engage in our September experience at our assigned school, we'll also be taking two courses on Fridays at UWB: Intro to Field Placements and a special education seminar.
Robin Angotti is our instructor for the field experiences course. With the aid of her most valued belonging, Robin invites us to ask questions about her kayak paddle and thus get to know a little a about her. I especially liked her comment that "Fear is where the fun begins." In a kayaking context, the fun doesn't happen when standing on the bank of a river, but instead once out on the water. I probably don't have to spell out the lesson for life in general. While I believe wholeheartedly in the idea of embracing fear, this doesn't come naturally to me. Too many years of status quo have left me less than certain of my ability to take on risks.
My mother has a cast iron pan that was her mother's. I had to buy mine at the local home store. I love the fact that my cast iron skillet is not only a great, nearly indestructible, tool for frying latkes, simmering marinara or making a giant apple pancake, it's also a link to my mom and her mom. I think I'm a lot like a cast iron skillet - maybe not too beautiful nor cutting-edge, but reliable and versatile and with a history.
Okay...YUM!!!!! Anyone who can cook and appreciate food like that is a person who lives life using all their senses and that can NEVER be anything but beautiful and cutting edge!
ReplyDelete