Monday, January 11, 2010

Literacy Journal - Reading for Pleasure

I wonder how often the best-intentioned reading programs succeed in their immediate purpose, but fail in the deeper purpose of helping children to become lifelong readers. Some kids, of course, are destined to fall in love with reading. Others, however, may need time and encouragement and opportunity to discover the joys of reading. One of our great challenges as teachers is to ensure that students receive the support necessary to develop a strong foundation in reading skills, without turning reading instruction and practice into drudgery.

Once a voracious reader, I lost the joy at some point during junior high. At the time, I attributed it to what I saw as too frequent book reports, but perhaps that was merely a false attribution. Whatever the case, it took years to rediscover my love of reading. Now my stacks are every-growing and my shelves overflowing.

Regie Routman is clearly a woman who can't imagine her life without books. As an educator, she is determined that her students experience the joy that comes with a really good book. She writes, "While it is true that we want our students to be able to read and comprehend well in all curriculum areas...let's not lose sight of the fact that if they don't read for pleasure they are not likely to make reading a lifelong habit or goal. Perhaps even more important, I want students to know that I am compelled to read...Reading pervades my life and sustains me the same way friendship and love do. Reading give me joy, comfort, perspective, new ideas, questions to ponder, and connections to other lives. I want nothing less for my students." (Reading Essentials, p. 24)

In my internship placement, a sixth grade classroom in a public elementary school, I see a lot of evidence that the students find pleasure in reading. Each student has at least one choice book on his/her desk, and most have several. One of my favorite conversational subjects with the kids at lunch time (which happens in the classroom) is their latest book. Reading Routman reminds me that I should make a point of bringing in a couple of my latest reads, and display them prominently on my workspace.

In November and December, I had the opportunity to run one of the Revolutionary War novel literature circles. My little group and I read My Brother Sam Is Dead. Each meeting I came prepared with my thoughts, questions and vocabulary, as did the students. Sharing the novel with the students, I thought more deeply and understood it more fully than I would have by myself, and I am confident that they would say the same. There is something deeply satisfying about sharing a book.

The district reading program is a Houghton series. Most selections are excerpts from "quality" literature. For example, last week, the class was working with a selection from E.L. Konigsberg's The View from Saturday. Even with thoughtful discussion and well-chosen activities, however, the experience is different than sharing an entire book. My perception is that many students are less invested in the story and characters of excerpted stories, and that the reading itself and accompanying activities feel more like "schoolwork" and less like reading and sharing with a community. While the series seems to serve a function as a manageable way for a teacher to approach teaching certain comprehension skills, for example, I think the balance of class novels and literature circles is critical in helping students along the road to reading with passion.

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne,

    I wonder how many teachers and district administrators would respond if asked whether their adopted reading program achieved its intended goals. Building on that notion, I wonder how many district's have, as a result of high stakes testing, lost sight of what a reading program's real purpose is; enabling students to become independent, lifelong readers rather than "at standard" readers on test results.

    As you described, some students are naturally drawn to reading whereas others need encouragement and motivation. As a teacher, I feel it's important to appreciate these differences in my students. Some students simply aren't intersted in reading. But this is where I get excited because it enables me to put on my detective hat. If I can find out some of the goals that this student has then it's simply a matter of presenting her with reading activities which aid in meeting these goals.

    What a thrill to know your students well enough that you're able to create an environment and/or situation in which even the most reluctant reader's interest and skills in literacy improve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne,

    I absolutely agree with you about the value of reading complete books, e.g. novels to produce good discussion and to also really ignite the love of reading in students. In the ninth grade, I thought our reading of Homer's Ulysses in the complete version was a great experience for the class and myself. It makes the kids feel good to take on a complete work --- not just bits and pieces. love, dad

    ReplyDelete