It's August 9th today, and I am still among the teaching job hopefuls, rather than the employed. In this economy, I understand that jobs are hard to come by, especially if one is looking in the ever-popular field of elementary education. When I am feeling optimistic, I imagine being one of those hired in the waning days of August, as "numbers" permit the formation of another class. Then I go on to imagine how I would squeeze a summer's worth of preparation into as little as one weekend.
What can I do know to prepare for a job in an unknown school, with unknown curriculum, in an unknown grade? Clearly, planning the specifics are out, but I've been working on a few projects/ideas that might give me a boost if I am indeed lucky enough to be one of those August hires.
1. Estudio espanol. I am studying Spanish through an online, continuing education class: "Spanish in the Classroom." This class is geared toward helping teachers learn some basic Spanish vocabulary and grammar to communicate with Spanish-speaking students.
2. Labeling books for classroom library. I've been collecting children's books, with an emphasis on those most appropriate for the intermediate grades. Using labels I had printed with "Classroom Library of Mrs Zeitz, Reading Level ____," I've been labeling each book with the reading level (according to the Scholastic Book Wizard).
3. Reading and thinking about classroom management. I've been rereading Positive Discipline in the Classroom (Nelsen, Lott, and Glenn) and relevant parts of Teach Like a Champion (Lemov). I've also pulled Cooperative Discipline (Albert) and added it to my current book stack. I think I may actually draft a tentative management plan, knowing that whatever I eventually do will need to be meshed with the school culture and especially that of my grade-mates.
4. Following blogs and news that pertain to education. The last few weeks I have especially enjoyed following Teach-Learn-Construct, the blog of a local teacher beginning his second year in a fifth grade classroom. I also make it a habit to check out the education section of the New York Times. Almost every day I find something worth contemplation.
5. Keeping up with what's new in technology. My #1 source of information when it comes to technology is Richard Byrne's Free Technology for Teachers. If you don't follow his blog, well - you must!
Now, if only the phone would ring...

It's good that you are thinking ahead and to be prepared. You nevr know when that phone might ring. love, dad
ReplyDelete