Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mentor-isms

Several times every day, my dyad-mate and I reach for our notebooks to write down a particularly wise or memorable or funny thing our various mentor teachers have said. I've decided these really should be compiled into a list, in no particular order. (These are culled from 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th grade classes.)

I don't want you to worry about your grade right now. I want you to worry about your learning.

I want to thank you all for being gutsy, for taking a risk and sharing your work.

How's my dysfunctional group doing? Functional now?

I need your attention in 5...4...3...

Be a self-manager.

When your group is in agreement, stand up.

How does your work compare to that of your neighbor's? (math solutions)

I will warn you - you have to read! (these math problems) I know that is a four-letter word!

Here's what I really want you to pay attention to.

This is a good extension for those of you who want one.

Who has another way to think about this?

If you are confused while you are doing your homework, what can you do?

Right now isn't the right time to be talking.

Put your pencil down when you have the problem solved.

Put your hand up when you're ready. I'm going to give everyone time to think.

What strategy did you use?

Turn and talk to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment