I blogged the other day about my experiences working with "Mike," a ninth grade student at my current "dyad" placement. At the time I felt pessimistic about his chance to achieve any real success in ninth grade math - or beyond.
Today I was back in that classroom, and "Mike," after being absent a few days, was as well. I used the excuse that he had been out of school to sit down with him during group work time, and coach him through the lesson, essentially more of the same work with slope, equations, and points. He was receptive, and, after some more explicit instruction, was able to experience some success. I received a heart-felt thank you.
I wish helping kids like "Mike" were as simple as spending some focused one-on-one time together. Obviously, it is not. Even with improved understanding, there are so many little things that can go wrong when solving a multi-step math problem. One time, the student switches up Xs and Ys. Another time, he/she makes a computational error. The next time, a step is accidentally omitted. Despite these setbacks, the student has to maintain their belief that they CAN be successful and that another try is worthwhile. They have to endure the frustrated looks of group members who "got it" the first time around. They have to stick it out despite demoralizing grades.
These are the kids I love to work with, though I still haven't figured out how to make it work with a class full of kids who need this extra dose of caring and individualized instruction.
There is no way that I have an answer for this, only to nod as I recognize the tension between whole-group teaching and individual learning. But I wonder if the theory behind Routman's optimal learning model might provide a hope of balancing these competing elements. If some students are at some point in the period able to work independently or in some capacity with peers, would that time perhaps be freed up for individual conferences with students or small guided groups? Anything that breaks up the 28:1 student/teacher ratio might help!
ReplyDelete