After blogging about LiveBinders, a cool new tool I encountered on the Free Technology for Teachers blog, I decided I should give it a whirl. This quarter's unit plan assignment seemed like the perfect place to start. My goal was to create a LiveBinder in which I would gather various electronic resources related to my unit on ancient China. Later I hope to create a student-friendly version of an ancient China Live Binder.
Because my procrastination skills are so well honed, I had no difficulty finding a little time on Saturday to start my binder. I created a LiveBinders account and from there it was pretty easy to do what the site is designed for:
- View links like pages in a book instead of URLs on a page
- Combine PDFs and Word docs with the links you collect
- Organize your links and documents into tabs and subtabs
I was doing well until I tried to cut and paste some text onto a tabbed page, at which time I got an error message and could no longer access my LiveBinder. Frustrated, I emailed customer service (Saturday night) and received a reply within a couple of hours. By Sunday morning, LiveBinders had restored my binder and assured me that there were working to fix this bug. As I understand it, the issue is that the binders are designed for links, not cutting and pasting a lot of data.
Needless to say, I was impressed by both the speed of LiveBinders' reply and their ability to resolve the problem.
My ancient China binder is still very much under construction, but I am embedding it here so you can check out the possibilities.
Note: You will need a passkey to enter the site. Use "uwb" as passkey. First click on the icon, then type in the passkey when prompted. (I am so proud of myself for having figured this out!)
No comments:
Post a Comment