Sandwiched between probability and geometry, in the district's Connected Math sequence, is a short pre-algebra unit. The first several sections of the curriculum are devoted to working with graphs and tables, and then, condensed into three very short lessons, is a section on writing one- and two-step equations. Students are introduced to the idea of representing the relationship between two variables in a one-step equation, and then the text moves swiftly to what seem to me to be much more difficult, abstract concepts. I had a feeling that I might need to slow down the pace, and, sure enough, this proved to be true.
On Monday, I introduced the class to one-step equations, with fairly explicit, "I do, we do, you do" instruction. The kids worked with partners on the accompanying investigation, and at the end of the period I actually felt pretty good about how the lesson had gone. However, I have been trying to include more frequent quick, formative assessments in my teaching, so I wrote a similar one-step scenario and asked the kids at the beginning of class on Tuesday to write an equation that fit the scenario. The plan was that I would look over these mini-assessments (or "The Little Assessment" as one of my funnier students titled her paper) while the kids did a few fraction review problems. I expected to find a small group of students who were still confused, and a majority who were basically on track. My plan was to provide extra support for those students during work time.
Whoa...instead of 80% good and 20 % confused, I found the ratios reversed. It was time to change my game plan. We would not move on to two-step equations as planned this day. Instead, I would reteach and provide more time for students to work, explore, think. Quickly I reformulated my game plan, brainstormed some additional teaching examples, and explained to the kids that we would take our time and not move on until they were ready. When work time rolled around, I was able to quickly group the handful of students who had shown evidence of understanding and set them to work on "extension" problems, with instructions that they were largely responsible for checking in with each other.
Several other students, who gave evidence of being the most confused, worked with a Safety Net teacher at a back table. The rest had the option of working alone or with an assigned partner, and I circulated among them.
Fast forward to Wednesday. I created a second "Little Assessment" with a different scenario that also required creating a one-step equation. This time there were only four students who were unable to write the equation, and these included students who had missed one of the two days of instruction. Much better. We did move on to two-step equations, but I intentionally split the lesson over two days. We'll see what they remember tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment