Saturday, September 26, 2009

9/25 Class Posting

Something I learned... I learned more strategies for dealing with classroom organization, transitions, substitutes and attention-getting. Now I just need to come up with a better way to record these and similar ideas so that I can easily find and refer to them in the future. I know better than assuming that I will simply remember.

Something I still have questions about... When trying to get a class to quiet down to begin or continue instruction, I've on occasion used the common tactic of waiting quietly until peer pressure compels the kids to settle down. At some level I have mixed feelings about this tactic. Yes, it usually works. However, generally it is the same cooperative, teacher-pleasing faces who look around at their classmates, giving them the "ssshhh" message. I don't like the fact that these kids seem to feel they must help me out by trying to bring their classmates into line. Why is this their job? I'd be curious to know how other teachers or teachers-to-be feel about this.

Something I'm anxious about... How do I deal with kids who make faces, or otherwise act out silently during class? I need to respond in a way that doesn't draw further attention to their behavior. On Thursday, I had two boys who were pulling down on their lower eyelids to look ghoulish. I had no idea how to respond.

Something I'm excited about ... returning to "my" sixth grade class as often as possible on Fridays this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment