No doubt we all wish we could be free of personal biases, especially as they relate to our work with children. I'm pretty sure this is not possible. To be human, not mechanical, is to view the world through the lens of our own experience.
I have been thinking about how I would characterize my bias as I observe students. I don't think my bias lies in favor of boys or girls. Nor does it favor high achievers, struggling students, or the "benchmark" kids. I would like to think I am free of bias based on race and culture, but I must admit to being intrigued by the past lives of those students who lived in other parts of the world. However, I think my greatest bias probably favors those students who are willing to engage with me. In some cases, these are kids who demand a lot of attention for "non-compliant" behavior, or academic struggles. In other cases they are students who respond to my query about the book on their desk, or the reason they chose that strategy for problem solving , with interest in kind. Of course, some students must be "drawn out" over time, and this can be rewarding. My challenge is to seek to see each child anew and to especially make the effort to engage with students with whom I don't feel an immediate connection.
No comments:
Post a Comment